The key article in Lesson 14, Pioneer Church Planting is “Three Kinds of Movements” by Rick Brown and Steven C. Hawthorne and “The C-Spectrum” by John J. Travis.
A summary and discussion questions are below:
Brown and Hawthorne list three kinds of movements of people to Christ in the last century:
- Insider Movements: These have two common dynamics: continuing community (care to not break with community upon faith) and retained sociopolitical identity (e.g. upon faith I’m still a Muslim, but a different kind of Muslim).
- People Movements: When whole communities make a group decision for Christ and turn away from their prior religious affiliation.
- Church Planting Movements: Characterized by a simple church structure that rapidly multiplies. Believers make a clean break with their old religion to redefine themselves as followers of Christ.
Questions for Discussion and Reflection:
- Do you think that anyone can be a true believer in Jesus who also says that he is a Muslim?
- What advice would you give to a new believer from an Muslim background on how he should communicate his new faith to his family? Should he stop going to the mosque?
- What are some things that missionaries may inadvertently do to slow down the spreading of the faith across a people group?