A summary and discussion questions are below.
Ralph Winter divides redemptive history into ten-400 year periods to cover 4000 years from Abraham to today. The mechanisms of expansion usually fit into one or more of the following four categories:
- Voluntary Going: when believers actively went to another land to proclaim God’s blessings
- Involuntary Going: when believers were forced into another land or culture because of persecution or slavery and then influenced the new culture toward faith.
- Voluntary Coming: when people voluntarily migrated into or invaded areas of believers and were influenced by the believers’ faith.
- Involuntary Coming: when people were forced to migrate to areas of believers and were influenced toward the believers’ faith.
Questions for Discussion and Reflection:
- Give an example from history for each of the mechanisms of expansion (above).
- What is a modality (church structure) and sodality (para-church structure)? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a local church attempting to be both a modality and a sodality?
- What are some negative and/or positive images of missionaries in popular media today? Which ones are justified?